Researchers learned about the endocannabinoid system way back in the 1990s. However, we have come a long way, thanks to studies on marijuana and hemp, which produces cannabinoids. Scientists have been performing more experiments on the endocannabinoid system and its effect on our gut health. As a result, we have unearthed several ways in which hemp extracts help ease our digestive troubles. Therefore, how does cannabidiol help promote our gut health and treat several digestive issues? Read on to learn more about hemp extracts that aid digestion and keep gut-related ailments at bay.
Can CBD Prevent Digestive Troubles?
Digestive issues can have far-reaching consequences as our gut helps keep our body satiated by absorbing the required nutrients. As a result, continued digestive tract issues can lead to poor appetites, nausea, vomiting, and weight loss. Effective CBD tincture is primarily made from an industrial strain of cannabis that contains low concentrations of THC and can help treat such gut issues. CBD hemp oil uses specific extraction methods that enable manufacturers to remove a majority of THC. Tetrahydrocannabinol, better known as THC, is a psychoactive compound that produces mind-altering effects and hallucinations.
Sublingual application of cannabidiol is very effective in promoting gut health and preventing digestive troubles. Most users claim that consistent use across a couple of weeks helped alleviate symptoms related to digestive problems. In most cases, consumers noted reduced stomach cramps, improved appetite, and better digestion. Additionally, such products also help treat specific conditions, such as IBS. So, what enables cannabidiol to improve our gut health and prevent digestive issues?
Does the ECS Prevent Digestive Issues?
IBS, or Irritable Bowel Syndrome, is a complex digestive disorder that leads to abdominal pain, gas, diarrhea, bloating, hypersensitivity and mood imbalance. Several studies have found that the dysregulation of the ECS is a contributing factor in intestinal disorders. While CB1 receptors have a place in our brain, most CB2 receptors exist within immune cells, with the majority being within the digestive tract. While CB1 receptors help regulate pain, sleep, mood changes, and memory, the latter helps reduce pain and inflammation.
Hence, by focusing on our body’s immune response to external threats through the CB2 receptor, we can treat various ailments and conditions. As a result, cannabidiol helps treat anxiety, seizures, epilepsy, schizophrenia, insomnia, and osteoarthritis. Additionally, products containing hemp extracts help alleviate symptoms of IBS by enabling the endocannabinoid system to maintain homeostasis.
How Does Hemp Promote Our Gut Health?
The endocannabinoid system, better known as the ECS, is a physiological system found in mammals that interact through receptors and neurotransmitters. The discovery of the CB1 and CB2 receptors in the brain helped uncover the ECS in 1995. Since then, further research has helped prove that the ECS is responsible for maintaining our body’s homeostasis or internal balance. Our body makes cannabinoids, called endocannabinoids, such as anandamide and 2-arachidonyl glycerol or 2-AG. Similarly, plants produce them as phytocannabinoids, most commonly found in the cannabis Sativa plant.
Some of the most commonly found phytocannabinoids are Delta 9 THC, cannabinol, and cannabidiol. Additionally, there exist several pharmaceutical cannabinoids that subsist independently and help treat several ailments. Scientists believe that hemp products help promote our gut health by interacting with the ECS and helping it regulate our digestion. As a result, these products provide a natural and organic remedy for all our digestion-related issues. Here is a quick look at some of the digestive problems that cannabidiol can help improve.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Crohn’s disease
- Chronic digestive problems
- Gut mobility issues
- Ulcerative colitis
- Leaky Gut
Research also indicates that hemp extracts can help reduce intestinal inflammation by interacting with our body’s neuro-immune axis. It controls our intestinal spasticity while also improving our appetite, enabling our body to absorb the nutrients it requires. As a result, patients receive relief from cramping and irregular bowel movements.
Using Hemp Products to Better Your Digestive Health
- The first step in using hemp products involves checking if they are legal in your state or country. While the 2018 Farm Bill helped make products derived from hemp legal in most states, it might not be so in yours. Therefore, make sure you research the legality of hemp and other cannabinoid-based products before purchasing. For instance, South Dakota, Idaho, and Nebraska do not allow several cannabinoids and hemp products.
- Next, you will have to consult a doctor to ensure your current medication will not react adversely with hemp. Also, it is advisable to check any new drug you consume with your doctor as they can offer dosage recommendations. Talk to your doctor about your condition, and ask them suggestions regarding what products to purchase.
- While the market offers various products, they all differ regarding the ingestion method and impact on the body. For instance, topical products offer localized treatment by seeping through our skin into our bloodstream. On the other hand, pills and capsules have to pass through our digestive tract. Since they differ in their ingestion method, the ease and speed with which they take effect also vary vastly.
- It might be challenging to find the correct dosage for these products as you need to consider several factors. Consumers have to factor in their weight, sensitivity, condition, genetics, diet, and other drug interactions before starting a dosing regimen. It is better to start with a small quantity, monitor the changes your body undergoes, and then make increments as and when required.
- Consumers must research the market and the manufacturing companies providing such supplements and products before purchase. Since the online market can sell fake products with incorrect labeling and inferior quality, in-depth research can help. Consumers must ensure they buy from companies that use organic, US-grown hemp, free of toxins. Additionally, they must analyze the Certificate of Analysis to ensure the product is safe for use. Some of the factors that consumers need to consider are as follows:
- Ensure the product passes some quality standards, such as the Current Good Manufacturing Practices from the US FDA.
- Opt for organic products as they use natural manufacturing processes and extraction methods, leading to a chemical-free product.
- Always start with hemp-based products which contain less than 0.3% THC unless specifically asked to use THC.
- Try to purchase products that utilize carbon dioxide extraction rather than solvents to improve the overall quality of your product.
- Only buy products from companies that produce testing reports from third-party labs regarding all their ingredients.
Problems relating to the gut are more prevalent than you might imagine, with around 40% of people experiencing some issue at least once. As a result, over-the-counter medications for treating such ailments are popular within the market. However, most of these medicines cause several uncomfortable side effects, including cramps, constipation, and bloating.
As you can see, there are a fair few studies that prove that CBD can work wonders for your digestive health. In case you struggle with any gut issue or ailment, try making the switch to cannabidiol to see if it helps. However, make sure you consult your doctor before starting a new regimen to prevent adverse drug reactions. Are you looking for quality CBD products? If so, follow this space for updates on the best products in the market!
Back to Blog